Dubbed ‘The Nervous System Whisperer’, I am a recovering perfectionist and people-pleaser turned napping expert, who lives in subtropical Byron Bay, Australia. A Somatic Educator, Creative Arts and Dance Movement Therapist I am the founder of DEEP REST® + PSOAS LOVE®. As the poster-girl for rest I am the permission slip. I am a lover of human biology, social justice and futurism. I lead with my deep sensitivity at the helm.
I experienced a full breakdown in 2011, which got my attention. It was brutal. The inevitable result of overriding myself – living inside a burnout loop – the legacy of trauma – for a really long time. Until I reached my breaking point. I was so angry at my body, how could my body do this?
But it was a kind of initiation. The biggest breakthrough of my life. At 40, I packed up my life and relocated to Byron Bay to recover. I did a post-mortem and got really honest about how I was the source of my own health breakdown and burn-out. And in doing so I began to heal and transform my life and health. It was time to atone, to graduate from this self-destructive pattern, and unwittingly birth something new. This beautiful work is the result.
This is a my life’s work. Informed by my years working as a Creative Arts and Movement Therapist. I have worked with thousands of people. I’m finally comfortable in my own skin – so I allow ALL of myself (not just the shiny bits) to show up here in this role. I am also a straight-talker, feisty, playful, and big-hearted. I’m no longer hiding playing small. I have Superpowers, and I own them. That’s why people travel from far away places to work – and play – with me.
I’m an oracle. I live by example and hold space for people who are ready to give up the glorification and cultural captivity of busy. People who are ready to rest and tend to their own devotion and care. To slow down and resolve the burn-out cycle for good, and midwife the life they deeply ache to live.
I’ve seen what’s coming in the next decade + I want us to be ready. My vision is of a world brimming with well-rested, juicy, resilient humans. I plug you into your body’s innate regenerative super-powers. That’s why people travel from far away places to work, play + train with me.
I love that you are here. ♥
H e r e ‘ s w h a t I d o :
- I teach people to rest. Deeply.
- I initiate new empowering conversations around stress, injury and illness.
- I reveal your inner ‘pause’ button.
- I plug you into your body’s innate regenerative powers.
- I am your midwife. Together, we rebuild your nervous system.
- I support you with ferocious love, insight, playfulness and bold truth-telling.
- I teach the art of embodiment (how to live in a body) – without the new-age tantric-spiritual frou-frou.
- I demystify everyday ailments and show you how to create corrective and lasting change.
- I empower you to stand, sit, walk and move with integrity, intelligence and ease.
- I facilitate the strengthening and stabilisation of a compromised sacro-iliac joint and unstable pelvis.
How people are describing me and my work:
The Nervous System Whisperer. – Alison Vickery, Holistic Health Coach.
Extraordinary. Exquisite! – Kathy Newman, Pro Surfer
Warm, playful and professional. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience. – Madhu Honey, Performing Artist
Profound on all levels. – Lisa Fitzpatrick, Soul Purpose + Professional Coach
Presence. Courage to hold a spaciousness, stillness, silence and depth. – Belinda Lloyd, Yoga + Mindfulness Teacher.
An inspiring example and teacher. – Michael Shaw, Anti Bullying Educator + Somatic Experiencing practitioner.
She brings a warmth and heartfelt regard for all. – Merri Hughes, Psychologist.
A gift. Obviously coming from an embodied place. – Kimberley Roberts, Your Peace Within Yoga and Wellbeing
Dynamic wisdom, gentle guidance and loving support. – Cathy Lee, Mother + Medial Assistant
Authenticity, compassion, playful, quirky. The real deal! – Ernst Dams, Relationship Coach
I am hungry for more! – Ngaire Stephenson, Pilates Instructor + Health Coach
Uniquely grounded and intuitive. Inspiring! I’ve waited a long time for this. – Star Rumble, Yoga Teacher + Teacher Trainer.
S o m e t h i n g s a b o u t m e t h a t I d o n ‘ t u s u a l l y s h a r e :
- I start every day with Gratitude, a cup of Lady Grey tea and an oracle. By candlelight.
- My practice has completely morphed from a strong yoga regimen, to an instinctive, playful, improvisational exploration. It feeds my Soul.
- I’m a Gemini. A Chinese Pig. Pigs love opulence. Known by many as the Queen of Lush. Oh, so I tend to snort when I laugh… which makes me laugh (or squeal) even more!
- I’m done censoring & watering myself down. I’m a BIG, expressive energy. I swear.
- I rest each day, which often turns into a luxurious nap. This is non-negotiable.
- My church is the beach. I love to walk, barefoot & reconnect.
- I can be unreasonable, perfectionistic, obsessive, bold & outspoken. I heard these were good leadership qualities?
- I am still a country girl at heart. And a tom-boy. Sometimes, I listen to country music & holler when I’m driving. It’s awesome (unless you are my passenger).
- I’m still a recluse. I love living on my own with my cat Jupiter. He is my teacher. (Cats have napping down pat!)
- I lost a bunch of hard-earned cash on a bad investment. Ouch. I eventually let it go.
- I believe radical self-responsibility & forgiveness will change the world. It changed mine.
- Turns out, I love sex. This was quite a great discovery in my late 30’s. Yay!
- I am deeply committed to my healing path. I am breaking the co-dependant-serial-monogamist groove at the mo’.
- I’ve been described as a fiercely-loving trailblazer.
- I love to buy myself jewellery. The real stuff, gemstones, diamonds. Oh dear….
- I love my perfectly imperfect, big-hearted parents – more than I could have imagined.
- I can change a tyre, paint a masterpiece, transform a scrappy house into a beautiful home, speak (& sing) in front of 400+ people, look my demons – & death in the eye, write a thesis, grow vegetables, design a website, do a handstand & ride a motorbike. Well. (Not at the same time. I gave up multi-tasking a few years back.)
- I give thanks for everything that I have ever experienced. All of it. ♥
Here are some of the ways you can work with me:
The perfect antidote for modern life. This Psoas Love-soaked work delivers secret arsenal to profoundly reset your whole system. Here - we rest. Unapologetically.
Science meets soul to profoundly nourish the adrenals, liberate the psoas and rebuild the nervous system.
Experiential anatomy for daily life. Movement education, body-work, re-patterning, postural alignment & home practice development for deep flourishing.
Professional Stuff: – A synopsis
- Age 15-19. A double Diploma. Interior Design and Graphic Design. CIT.
- Age 22. Graphic designer. Sydney Opera House. Dream job and locale. Wooohooo!
- Age 25. Founded my own design company, Art and Soul.
- Age 29. Began my Masters in Creative Arts Therapy. RMIT.
- Age 30-39. Worked as a Creative Arts Therapist. Private practice, educational and clinical settings.
- Age 37. I completed my Masters research project and thesis. I painted, danced, researched and wrote for six months.
- Age 38. I started making Art professionally. Nexus Modern Art Melbourne began showing and selling my work.
- Age 38. Did my Yoga Teacher Training at Byron Yoga and opened my Studio in the Yarra Valley. Yoga Art Play.
- Age 38. Completed Thai Yoga Massage Certification Training, Trinity Yoga.
- Age 39. Completed Level 2 Teacher Training, Being Yoga.
- Age 40. Did a week training with Donna Farhi.
- Age 41. Had a nervous and physical breakdown. Went on Sabbatical. Turned out to be my biggest breakthrough.
- Age 42. Completed a Business Management course.
- Age 42. Started teaching, touring and sharing the work that is here on the Kylian website.
- Age 43. Signed up with a business coach extraordinaire, Lisa Fitzpatrick.
- Age 43. Trained as a Somatic Exercise Coach.
- Age 43. Trained with Judith Lasater. Relax and Renew Restorative Yoga. The Queen of Restorative Yoga.
- Age 43. Built and launched this website – the fab new home for all of my work.
- Age 44. Expanded my studio. Went global with the work. Oh-yeah.
- Age 46. Took a year long sabbatical.
- Age 47. Fast forward! I am resting every day. Teaching people to rest. Loving it…
Here’s where I tend to hang out and deliver the goods:
As a Creative Arts and Movement Therapist, Restorative Yoga Teacher, Creativity Coach, Nervous System Repair Strategist and Somatic Educator, Artist and Speaker – I have developed and delivered creative, therapeutic and community development projects, workshops and educational and therapeutic services for the following clients:
– The Department of Veterans Affairs, VIC
– The Gawler Foundation, Yarra Valley, VIC
– Warburton Yoga and Mindfulness Centre, VIC
– Nexus Modern Art, South Melbourne, VIC
– The National Home Truths Conference, Melbourne, VIC
– Sex and Consciousness Conference, Byron Bay, NSW
– Yarra Valley Community Health Service, VIC
– Eastern Family Violence Network, Melbourne, VIC
– Anglicare, Victoria, VIC- CASA House, Melbourne, VIC
– Yarra Vally Community Health Service, VIC
– Shire of Yarra Valley Youth Services, VIC
– Ranges Community Health Service, VIC
– Women’s Health East, Melbourne, VIC
– Rivendell Community Center, VIC
– Grampians Community Health Service, VIC
– Canberra Rape Crisis Centre, ACT
– ADFACT Karralika Therapeutic Community, ACT
– Windana Therapeutic Community, ACT
– Women’s Information & Referral Service, ACT
– YWCA, ACT
– ACT ADHD Support Group, ACT
– ACT Community & Disability Care, ACT
– Drug Referral Information Center, ACT
– Innana Women’s Refuge, ACT
– Canberra Institute of Technology, ACT
– ACT Family Planning, ACT
– Sydney Opera House, NSW
– 3M Australia, NSW
Exhibitions and Performances: (1999 – 2010)
– Resident exhibitor: Nexus Modern Art, Melbourne, VIC
– “Self Portraits” Expressive Arts Performance, Tamalpa Institute, California
– “Re-enchantment in the Studio”, Solo Masters Exhibition, Redhouse, VIC
– “Art of Wellbeing – Exploring the Process of Arts Therapy, Manningham Gallery, VIC
– Curator: “Young Women’s Studio”, Warburton Mechanic’s Hall, VIC
– “Thriving Through Art – Women Survivors of Sexual Violence”, Tuggeranong Arts Centre, ACT
– Opening Speaker & Exhibitor: “Bigger than the Box – Women Survivors of Sexual Violence”, Tuggeranong Arts Centre, ACT
– Dance Performance: “From the Source, Through the Present, Toward the Future”, Mirramu Creative Arts Centre, Bungendore, NSW
– Solo Performance: “A Personal Madness”, RMIT, VIC
– “A Visual Voice”, ArtSpace71, Kingston, ACT
Phew, I think it’s time for a nap….
You can read more about my personal journey below.
After all – it’s this stuff that made me who I am, and profoundly informs this work…
Why I am qualified for this role: my Soulful journeyUnabridged Life Resume